Friday, November 10, 2006

Day 10: Six...I Mean, One Degree of Separation

So, I am still here in Nashville at this conference. It is not too great. Enjoying the time away and taking a break from my daily responsibilities, but the conference itself sort of sucks. I think it hit me this morning that what I do is much different than what most of the people here do. I don't think these folks are exactly my "peers." I don't have much in common with them, I don't think. And, I don't mean that in an arrogant way, even if it may sound that way. I just mean it it in the sense that my primary focus is on something else, something different than most of these folks.

Now, the story I want to share. I am totally fascinated with the theory of six degrees of separation. And because I frequently strike up conversation with strangers, I always experience it...and I love it. Last night, I was having dinner in the hotel restaurant alone. I got a tasty glass of wine and was just relaxing, enjoying the moment. A woman was seated two tables down from me, also alone and obviously here for the same conference I was. She ordered and then I struck up conversation with her and invited her down to have dinner at my table.

She joined me and we went through introductions. She said she was from Springfield, Missouri. Wow, I said, that is amazing, my brother went to school in Springfield. Springfield is not the biggest city, so it was a bit of a coincidence. I told her my brother was a pastor and did his undergrad at Evangel College and went to seminary at the Assemblies of God seminary in Springfield. "That's where I work," she said.

Oh my goodness...I told her my brothers name and SHE KNOWS HIM! The world really is a small place. I love it!

No comments: